Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Nothing like some good old fashion Venison Bacon! Read how to make it!!!



PREPARATION

    1. Day 1: - I use 50 - (approx. 12.5 lbs) venison to 50 - (approx. 12.5 lbs.) 80/20 pork/fat. - I grind these through the grinder once using a coarse grinder plate, and then do a thorough mix of the meats and then grind one more time through the grinder using a fine grinder plate. - Then in a tub I add the seasoning to the mix, cure, an ounce of flavor booster and 4 cups of water. This stuff is sticky, reminds me of the perfect meat glue…… The seasoning and flavor booster is a premix that I order from Curley's Sausage Kitchen online. Then I pack the seasoned meats into tin foil loaf pans (about 2 inches thick, about the width of a slice of bacon) for the meat to set up over night in the refrigerator and firm up. When setting in the fridge, make sure meat is well covered. I use wax paper and set pans on top of each other and will pack 4 or 5 high. Day 2: - Place meat pan upside down onto your smoking racks and gently remove the meat mixture onto your smoking racks. (This is the point why I like to use tinfoil pans. The consistency of the mixture is very sticky and bending the pans to get the meat loaf mixture out in one piece is easier with a tinfoil pan.) - I put it in the smoker at 130 degree's for an hour with no smoke and damper wide open for drying purposes. - Then add smoke and move up to 160 degree's for 2 hours with the damper half open. - Then I remove the smoke and move up to 180 degree for about 4 more hours. I remove it from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 155 degree's. I have moved up to 200 degree's with no problems if getting the internal temp of 155 is taking too long. - Take out and let meat cool, then I bag the meat loafs separately and again, refrigerate over night. Day 3: - Slice meat to your personal bacon thickness preference, package and freeze. Or if you are anxious and hungry, just start cooking it like you would normal bacon !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment